The Wellcome Trust is an independent global charitable foundation dedicated to improving health, because good health makes life better. The trust offers a wide variety of funding schemes to support individual researchers, teams, resources, seed ideas and places. It also funds major initiatives in areas which are strategically important, by invitation, but they welcome the opportunity to discuss ideas which might fit with their strategic priorities.
The Wellcome Trust is seeking applications for its Our Planet, Our Health funding programme to secure the health and wellbeing of present and future generations while responsibly stewarding the planet. The foundation calls for transdisciplinary programmes that research the ways complex changes in environment affect the health of people and develop potential solutions to enhance resilience.
- Urbanisation and health
- The global food system and health
Size of grant
The amount of an award will depend on what the proposal can justify as necessary to fulfil its objectives. As a general guide, applicants may apply for up to £2 million per year for up to 5 years.
Support may be requested for all research costs that are attributable to the programme, including:
- salary costs for research staff
- consumables and small equipment costs
- travel, conferences and research meetings
- office support and communication costs.
They do not support:
- capital construction or refurbishment costs
- indirect costs
- academic institutional overheads.
Participating organisations may be located in any country, and the lead applicant may be employed in any sector. The trust welcomes proposals from a broad range of disciplines and encourages applications that involve cross-sector collaborations.
All applications will require clear arrangements for the leadership and management of the programme.
How to Apply
The application process has three stages:
- preliminary application
- full application (if invited)
- interview by the Our Planet, Our Health Committee.
To begin the application process, please email the trust at firstname.lastname@example.org. They can then enable applicants to use WT Grant Tracker to submit their preliminary application.
Applicants who are shortlisted at the preliminary application stage will be awarded a planning grant of up to £30,000 to enable them to bring members of their network together to discuss and refine a full application.
- Deadline for preliminary applications: 29 January 2016, 17.00 GMT
- Decision on preliminary applications: March 2016 (date to be confirmed)
- Deadline for full applications: August 2016 (date to be confirmed)
- Decision on full applications: October 2016 (date to be confirmed)
For more information, please visit Wellcome Trust.