The EU is currently accepting proposals from eligible organisations for its “Civil Society Organisations and Local Authorities (CSOs-LAs) Thematic Programme” to enhance CSOs’ & LAs’ capacities and contributions in governance and development processes in Sierra Leone, strengthening decentralisation and local development processes, and contributing to poverty reduction and the attainment of sustainable development goals (SDGs) in accordance with a Territorial Approach to Local Development (TALD).
The specific objectives of this call for proposals are:
- Improved quality of teaching and learning (primary, junior secondary, vocational) and better access to education for children at risk of marginalisation, specifically girls.
- Reinforced democratic governance, improved transparency, inclusiveness and accountable decision-making, including improved participation of citizens in particular strengthening the voice of girls and women.
- Increased gender equality and empowerment of women and girls in local development processes as well as in decentralised decision-making and local government.
- Enhanced managerial, organisational and technical capacities of Sierra Leonean CSOs and CBOs.
- Strengthened administrative and operational capacities of local authorities to carry out their legal mandates, including through collaborative efforts between local authorities.
Size of grants
Any grant requested under this call for proposals must fall between the following minimum and maximum amounts:
For CSO applicants:
- Minimum amount: € 400,000
- Maximum amount: € 1,200,000
For Local Authorities:
- Minimum amount: € 500,000
- Maximum amount: € 1,000,000
The funding rate depends on the type of applicants and its location:
CSOs and Local Authorities from Europe:
- Minimum percentage: 50 % of the total eligible costs of the action.
- Maximum percentage: 75% of the total eligible costs of the action (see also Section 2.1.5).
CSOs and Local Authorities from Sierra Leone:
- Minimum percentage: 50% of the total eligible costs of the action.
- Maximum percentage: 90% of the total eligible costs of the action
In order to be eligible for a grant, applicants must:
- be legal persons and
- be non-profit-making and
- be specific types of organisations such as: non-governmental organisations, public sector operators, or a consortium thereof and
- be established in a Member State of the European Union or in Sierra Leone and
- be Local Authority or Association of Local Authorities from Sierra Leone or from a Member State of the European Union and
- Eligible applicants with a nationality other than that of Sierra Leone must act together with at least one Sierra Leonean organisation acting as a co-applicant, and
- be directly responsible for the preparation and management of the action with the co-applicant(s) and affiliated entity (ies), not acting as an intermediary.
- for Lot 2; only Local Authorities or Association of Local Authorities from Sierra Leone or from a Member State of the European Union are eligible to apply.
The initial planned duration of an action may not be lower than 24 months nor exceed 36 months.
Actions must take place in Sierra Leone.
The deadline for the submission of concept notes is 19 December 2017 at 19:00 (Brussels time).
How to apply
The application procedure consists of two phases:
- Concept notes
- Full applications
In the first instance, only concept notes must be submitted for evaluation. Thereafter, lead applicants who have been pre-selected will be invited to submit a full application.
For further details please visit EuropeAid.